A nagging hip injury has forced Rafael Nadal to withdraw from next week’s Rome Masters tennis tournament.
The 22-time Grand Slam winner originally suffered the grade 2 left hip flexor injury in January during the Australian Open. He ultimately lost in the second round of the tournament, marking his first Grand Slam exit since 2016.
Nadal, a 10-time Rome Masters champion, revealed on Friday that his hip has taken longer than expected to fully heal.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
«I am very sorry to announce that I will not be able to be in Rome,» the 36-year-old said in a statement on social media.
“You all know how much it hurts to miss another one of the tournaments that have marked my professional and personal career for all the love and support of the Italian tifosi”.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC WAS ALLOWED TO COMPETE IN THE US OPEN AS THE UNITED STATES SETTLED TO CHANGE COVID-19 TRAVEL POLICY
He added that the slow recovery has prevented him from training at a high level.
«Despite having noticed an improvement in recent days, there have been many months without being able to train at a high level and the readaptation process has its times and I have no choice but to accept them and continue working,» said Nadal.
Two weeks ago, Nadal decided to withdraw from the Madrid Open due to hip problems.
The French Open is scheduled to start on May 28. Nadal has dominated at Roland Garros, where he has won 14 times.
He has competed in the tournament every year since 2005, but the current state of his hip casts doubt on his participation this year. He has not publicly revealed if he will play in Paris later this month.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Nadal was previously the highest ranked player in the world, but is currently ranked number 14. It is the first time Nadal has fallen outside the top 10 in 18 years.