WASHINGTON (AP) — Prosecutors with the office of special counsel Jack Smith have requested that the criminal trial of former President Donald Trump for alleged mishandling of classified documents be delayed until December, according to a court document filed Friday.

Earlier this week, Judge Aileen Cannon set the trial date for August 14, estimating court proceedings would take two weeks. But prosecutors said more time is needed before the trial can start and requested that the trial be pushed back to December 11.

If the date is approved and not further delayed, Trump, who is seeking a return to the White House, could face the jury in December and voters in January. While no final date has been set for Iowa’s caucuses, the first primary contest is expected in mid January.

In a separate case, Trump will face a criminal trial in New York City, starting in March, halfway through the primary voting process.

Prosecutors from Special Counsel Smith’s office also told the court Friday that they had discussed the delay with Trump’s lawyers.

“Defense counsel confirmed that they are not opposed to a postponement of the current trial date,” the filing says.

Prosecutors cited the need to obtain security clearances for defense attorneys as the main reason for the requested delay. Provisional authorizations can be obtained within 48 hours, depending on the court file, but the final approval needed to review all documents will take 45-60 days. Not all defense attorneys have filed the proper paperwork to begin the process, according to the filing.

Trump is charged with mishandling classified documents he took with him after leaving the White House. The indictment made public this month indicated that the documents in question remain classified.

The Classified Information Procedures Act provides a set of guidelines to allow the use of classified documents in a trial. The filing detailed a proposed timeline to allow both sides to litigate how the classified documents will be addressed during trial.

Trump and co-defendant Walt Nauta face 37 counts in seven counts, including false statements, conspiracy to obstruct and willful withholding of national defense information.

Trump has denied wrongdoing, insisted he had a right to keep the documents and charged that his prosecution is politically motivated. He pleaded not guilty in a Miami court earlier this month.

daniel barnes contributed.