World Cup winner Benjamin Mendy signed a two-year contract with French soccer club Lorient on Wednesday, just days after the French international was found not guilty of raping one woman and attempting to rape another.
Mendy, 29, left Manchester City last month after his contract expired. He hadn’t played for the Champions League winners since 2021.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
«After passing the traditional medical examination, Benjamin Mendy, world champion in 2018, four-time Premier League winner with Manchester City and French Ligue 1 champion with Monaco, among others, has reinforced the Lorient squad for the new season,» Lorient said in a statement.
JORDI ALBA JOINS HIS FORMER TEAMmates LIONEL MESSI AND SERGIO BUSQUETS AT INTER MIAMI
The France left-back was acquitted in a new trial for attempting to rape a woman, who was 29 at the time, at his home in October 2018. He was also found not guilty of the rape of a second woman two years later, also at home. ADDRESS.
Mendy denied the charges and said the incidents were consensual encounters.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Earlier this year, a jury acquitted Mendy of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault involving four young women or adolescents after a six-month trial. Jurors failed to reach a verdict on the rape and attempted rape charges, leading to a new trial.